Guide for Preparing and Sowing Grass Seed:
- Prepare the soil for seeding by removing any large stones, weeds, or any other unwanted items, i.e. builders rubble.
- Preparation of the soil. For heavy clay soils; mix in some sharp sand to help aid drainage. For light dry clay; mix in some organic material i.e. peat moss to help the soil retain water from drying out.
- Rake the area removing any small stones.
- Repeat this process, until the area is level and firm enough, not to leave deep foot prints in the soil
- Add a pre-seeder lawn fertilizer to aid germination and establishment of lawn.
- Select the seed mixture most suitable to your lawn i.e. shaded area, high traffic, etc.
- Spread the grass seed evenly over the area. This can be done by using a grass seed spreader or by hand.
- Softly drag a hard brush over the area to hide the seed from the birds. Lightly roll the area to ensure contact of the seed and the soil.
HINT. Sow lawn in both directions. Up and down over and back, for an even ground cover. Keep back a small amount of seed for any areas that may have been missed.